Cumberland to Rockwood

I packed up early the next morning, and headed to the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad train station.
I loaded my bike in, along with perhaps a dozen other people taking their bikes up the hill, and we set off for frostburg.

The group of cyclists were pretty varied, from forty something's in spandex to couples in their sixties taking an afternoon cruise down the mountainside.



For the first 5 miles, I had to keep talking myself out of finding a shuttle back to Ohiopyle. It was cold and overcast and uphill.  Knowing the top of the mountain was only about 12 miles away kept me going.  That and not wanting to spend $200 for a shuttle.

Eventually, I caught a glimpse of the continental divide tunnel, and raced up the hill.  Just before reaching the tunnel, I passed a rather large group of cyclists, 8-10, who encouraged me 'almost there!' As they flew past.



The ride downhill on the western side isn't nearly as steep as the eastern side, so you do have to pedal, but there are spots you can coast, and the peddling is easier.  I made good headway, and pulled back into Rockwood around 5:30. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Loss